Your back pain can be cared for by Vancouver’s Zenaptic Chiropractic. Dr. Troy Dreiling offers chiropractic care for all types of back pain and you can get started with a free consultation. Simply call us to get started.
According to the American Chiropractic Association, 31 million Americans are living with back pain at any point in time. While chiropractors treat more than just back pain, this is one of the leading reasons that patients visit our office, as people are often seeking relief from this pervasive condition.
Back Pain Causes
Low, mid and upper back pain can be caused by a variety of factors, and it is important to identify the underlying cause of the pain in order to come up with the most appropriate treatment plan.
- Lumbar herniated disc. When a spinal disc degenerates, the inner core can leak through the out portion of the disc, resulting in a herniation. The main symptom associated with this type of back injury is sciatica, which involves pain that travels to the foot, leg, and buttock, and it is typically only felt on one side of the body.
- Degenerative disc disease. When the lumbar discs found between the vertebrae start to break down, a damaged disc can result in instability and inflammation in the lower back. This can lead to low back pain, muscle spasms, and back pain that tends to worsen with sitting.
- Isthmic spondylolisthesis. Isthmic spondylolisthesis will occur when a vertebra of the lower back moves forward and onto the disc space found below it. Symptoms include pain that radiates into the buttocks and thighs, a tired feeling in the legs, and pain that improves with sitting.
- Sacroiliac joint disease. This condition can occur if there is too little or too much movement of the sacroiliac joint, which connects the sacrum to the hip on each side. Symptoms include pain in the lower back and hips, back pain that worsens when sitting, but might feel better when reclining, and the need to change positions frequently in order to relieve pain.
- Back muscle strain. A strain of the back muscle or ligament is one of the top causes of acute low back pain. This may be caused by twisting, lifting a very heavy object, or a sudden movement that results in stretching of the ligaments of muscles. Symptoms include difficulty standing or walking, dull and aching pain, and potentially severe muscle spasms.
Whether you have been suffering from low back pain for a while or it just started, chiropractic care can help.
Call (360) 260-6903 to set up a free consultation.
Low Back Pain
Hey, it’s Dr. Troy here, for low back pain chiropractic care.
A lot of our patients come in they suffer from low back pain and I found over the years many people with back pain have had chronic back pain on and off at higher or lesser intensities over many many years. Then we have some that just had their first episode and some of those tend to respond pretty quickly.
A lot of times we’ll see people with low back pain and they could have disc issues, they could have facet issues, muscle issues and then the biggest thing is joint dysfunction which interferes with nerve flow.
So what we try to do is find out what are the pain generators? What’s causing the low back pain?
Then we lay out a corrective course of care to correct those things which could include massage therapy it could include exercise, rehab, stretching protocols. It could include chiropractic adjustments whether they’re with a hand adjustment or with an instrument which is very light. We also have a DRX9000, which the goal with that is to reduce disc issues.
People that might be facing surgery, have leg pain, sciatica, disc problems, this can help relieve many of those patients who have even tried traditional chiropractic or acupuncture or cortisone shots or looking at surgery.
So there’s a lot of different treatment options at Zenaptic Chiropractic. If you’re suffering from low back pain consultation is always free, we accept insurance.
We would be happy to schedule you a time to see if one of our doctors here at Zenaptic would be able to get you back on track.
We say at Zenaptic, it’s where pain-free living begins (360) 260-6903.
Mid Back Pain
Hello, it’s Dr. Troy here for mid-back pain chiropractic care in beautiful Vancouver Washington.
Today I want to talk about mid-back pain.
A lot of people today suffer from back pain issues especially mid-back pain. The mid-back basically starts at the lower part of your neck where the upper ribs attach to your spine and then go all the way down to the lower part of your ribs. So, a little bit lower if you’re a woman, where the bra clip would go that’s pretty much what we call the mid back or the dorsals.
Let’s talk about some of the things that can happen or that you can feel if you’ve got mid-back issues.
A lot of people who suffer from mid-back pain sit a lot, they have bad posture, they might be on a computer a lot, they drive a lot, they’re in airplanes a lot. What can happen is the vertebra and the joints in the spine can lock up they malfunction, they create swelling which triggers pain in that can kind of cause a whole host of problems.
A lot of our patients will complain of burning, numbness, weakness, tightness, feeling achy, fatigued feeling in between the shoulder blades mid-back area that might even radiate into the shoulders. Some of our patients have reported with mid-back pain they get rib pain that might radiate around into the front. I’ve even had some patients say, “I thought I was having a heart attack we went to the hospital they couldn’t find anything wrong.” It was actually a spinal misalignment which was putting pressure on the nerves that radiate around into the front of the ribs.
We’ve also seen breathing problems. I had a guy just the other day he said, “You know I’ve been here a couple years ago and I had really bad stomach issues”, it was a nine out of ten and he said, “I was pretty good for about two years and now it came back I went to the inner chronologist, gastroenterologist and they scoped me and they couldn’t find anything wrong.” Then he said, “You know what I remember? I went to a chiropractor they adjusted my mid-back and my stomach problem cleared up.” That’s why you came back to see us.
So, these are some common ailments that we see that specific chiropractic care can help address. There are some specific exercises we can teach you to help open up the dorsals or the mid-back so that you feel better, you function better and we always say at Zenaptic Chiropractic is where pain-free living begins.
Free consultation (360) 260-6903, our providers are willing and able to help.
Upper Back Pain
Hey, it’s Dr. Troy here.
Today I want to talk about upper back pain chiropractic care.
A lot of people come to our office and say their upper pain is really tight. It’s burning, they have tension in between their shoulder blades, they can’t turn or use their shoulder very well and can potentially have numbness or tingling in their hands.
The upper back is basically between your shoulder blades up to the base of your neck, that is what we would consider your upper back. And so what happens?
A lot of times people will be sitting at their desk and they have this forward head posture and the muscles in their upper back are over stressed and strained. Now the pressure of that builds onto the joints, the discs and then the muscles get fatigued because gravity is pulling this 112-poundbowling ball forward.
So, first you have to analyze, do they have forward head posture? And also, do they have joints that aren’t moving properly? If the joints don’t move properly the nutrients can’t come in, waste can’t come out, there is an irritant in there that causes inflammation and the inflammation is pain.
There are specific extension exercises, fulcrums, wedging that people can lay on, there is traction that they can do to help open up that upper back, take the pressure and stress off the muscles and ligaments so they feel better.
Specifically chiropractic adjustments to help restore joint function, nerve flow, even massage therapy can be beneficial for helping people who have upper back pain.
If you’re suffering from it, any of our providers here will be happy to work with you to see if we can get you back on track.
Zenaptic Chiropractic, where pain-free living begins. (360) 260-6903.
Back Pain Analysis and Treatment
To start an analysis of your back pain, your chiropractor will begin by getting an up-to-date medical history, including reviewing your symptoms, physical activities, and work. A physical exam will also be performed in order to rule out potentially serious causes of your low back pain. If your pain lasts for six weeks or longer, a diagnostic test may be used to better understand the cause of your pain:
- Spinal X-ray. A spinal X-ray will take a picture of the spine, and it can find diseases or injuries that affect the joints or discs in the spine. This may include bone spurs, disc disease, infections, or fractures.
- MRI. An MRI can discover changes in the spine to better identify the cause of low back pain.
- CT Scan. A CT scan will take a more detailed look at the spine, and it can find herniated discs, fractures, and narrowing of the spinal canal.
- A chiropractic adjustment, which may also be referred to as a spinal manipulation, manual manipulation, or chiropractic manipulation, is the common therapeutic treatment plan for lower back pain. Adjustments typically involve:
- A high velocity arm thrust that is applied onto a vertebra
- An accompanying and audible release of gas caused by the release of carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and oxygen, which releases pressure in the joint
- A sensation of relief
- The goal of this type of chiropractic treatment is to reduce subluxation while increasing range of motion, improving function, and reducing nerve irritability.
While spinal adjustments can be useful in the treatment of lower back pain, they aren’t the only procedures that chiropractors can employ to help with symptoms, as there are many other drug-free approaches to dealing with pain:
- Mobilization. Chiropractic mobilization will refer to low velocity movement, manipulation, and stretching of the muscles and joints, with the objective of improving range of motion in those areas.
- Massage. Massage can be used on the soft tissues in order to reduce inflammation and swelling associated with back pain while improving circulation. This can promote quicker healing.
- Exercise. Flexion, or extension based exercises, can improve mobility in the lower back, as can exercise that strengthen the pelvic stabilizing muscles.
Back Pain FAQ
Are chiropractic adjustments for low, middle, and upper back pain safe?
Chiropractic care is known for being one of the safest non-invasive and drug free therapies available for the treatment of back and neck problems. When performed by a licensed chiropractor, spinal adjustments are extremely safe.
Can you treat a slipped disc?
Technically, it isn’t possible for a disc to slip. A disc is a pad of cartilage that is found between the spinal bones, and because of the way it is attached to the vertebrae, both above and below, it can’t “slip.” However, injury or trauma to the spine can cause a disc to herniate, bulge, or tear. This can be very painful, as pressure will be put onto the spinal cord and adjacent nerve roots. Chiropractic care can be very successful at treating these conditions and can help patients to avoid dangerous pain medications and an unnecessary surgery.
We offer a variety of chiropractic techniques aimed to improve your low back pain, regardless of whether your discomfort is caused by degenerative disc disease, a herniation, a back strain, or any other condition. Not only can we provide chiropractic adjustments to relieve your pain, but we can also offer other chiropractic solutions to improve your quality of life.
If you are living with back pain, today is the day to take the first step in feeling good again. If you are in the central or downtown Vancouver, Washington area, please call us to set up your free consultation.