Hello, Dr. Troy here, introducing a new and effective service at our Vancouver Disc Centers of America clinic: The Cox® Technic.
Named after its developer, James M. Cox DC DACBR, Cox® Technic Flexion Distraction and Decompression is a gentle, non-force chiropractic adjusting approach.
PLACE IN HEALTHCARE
63.7% of chiropractic physicians report using flexion-distraction in their practices. (1 – page 15 of 16 in this PDF) Vancouver Disc Centers offers this highly-effective spinal manipulation and decompression technique, a marriage of chiropractic and osteopathic principles.
This union offers a non-surgical alternative first-line treatment to a more intrusive surgery for alleviation of pain in the neck, arm, back, and leg, especially for the 1 in 4 patients who are 95% of the cost of healthcare dollars for back pain: the disc herniation and stenosis cases.
Cox® Technics performance for these more extreme conditions makes it a choice conservative, non-surgical approach for less involved conditions of back and neck pain also.
Cox® Technic is a gentle distraction (stretching) adjustment of the spine to realize the following benefits for the patient with back or extremity pain:
Increase the intervertebral disc space opening
Decrease the pressure within the disc to aid healing of disc herniation
Increase the size of the nerve openings in the spine to reduce pinched nerves
Restore range of motion to spinal segments
The disc is pressing on the nerve. Note that as the disc herniation shrinks, the pinched nerve can be relieved.
*These are animations of the goal of Cox® Technic Flexion-Distraction and Decompression: reduced irritation of spinal elements enough to relieve pain and help you regain your quality of life. The amount of decrease in size of the herniated disc necessary for pain relief varies from 0% to 100% for each individual patient.
THE HEALING BENEFITS
The above changes in the spine may allow the following healing benefits to patients with back pain or pain down the arms or legs:
1. Stimulation of circulation into the intervertebral disc which can aid in absorption of the pain-causing chemicals while increasing the absorption of nutrients into the disc to aid healing and inflammation of the disc has been reported as necessary for successful outcome with spinal manipulation.
2. Dropping the pressure inside the disc creates a force inside the disc to reduce the bulging of herniated disc material.
3. Stenosis patients benefit by the increase in the size of the nerve openings which is the area of nerve compression and pinched nerves.
4. Range of motion spinal manipulation restores more freedom of movement while also stimulating nerves in the extremities, spinal cord, and brain to produce chemicals that reduce pain and create a sense of well-being.
5. As these above changes occur under chiropractic treatment with Cox® Technic Flexion Distraction spinal manipulation, pain in the extremity can reduce by centralizing or isolating the pain to the low back and hip area. One study reveals that it takes three months to allow healing of herniated disc and stenosis caused pain.
Some patients receive full relief of pain and some as much relief as possible, requiring continued observance of rules of exercise, proper ergonomics of lifting, and continued monitoring of care.
◦ This easing of pain in the extremity by its moving up the leg and into the back and hip area is a sign of healing and is called centralization of pain.
◦ Back pain reduces as the nerve compression and chemical irritation decreases and normal movement of the spine returns.
6. A study reveals that it takes three months to allow healing of herniated disc and stenosis caused pain. Some patients receive full relief of pain and some as much relief as possible, requiring continued observance of rules of exercise, proper ergonomics of lifting, and continued monitoring of care.
You will notice, as most patients do on their first visit, the special table used for Cox® Technic. It is known as The Cox® Table or a flexion distraction table. Its design allows a gentle tractioning of the spine to drop intradiscal pressures, to increase disc height, and open the spinal canal area as well as re-establish individual normal spinal segment ranges of motion.
Cox® Technic Flexion Distraction and Decompression is applied distinctively for each zone of the spine. To see its gentle, effective application click on the image above.
The goal at DCOA is to contain and control Degenerative Disc Disease. Results vary patient to patient based on age, lifestyle, genetics, etc. Spinal Decompression treatment is designed to bring relief so as not to necessitate ongoing therapy. However once the event of decompression is obtained a retention program or maintenance schedule is recommended.It is our recommendation that doctors/patients integrate an active and passive exercise component in addition to a home care protocol designed to teach the patient to strengthen their back.
Disc Centers of America, works with disc cases all over the world. Only DCOA doctors are certified to utilize TDC Therapy. DCOA doctors receive ongoing training, research and are acknowledged by the International Medical Advisory Board on Non-Surgical Spinal Decompression and the International Disc Education Association.
The medical information on this email is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment. Please consult your health care provider before making any healthcare decisions.
© This copyrighted material is exclusive to DCOA. Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.